Double Glazing Building Regulations

Building regulations governing double glazing are primarily concerned with the government’s commitment to reducing the UK’s carbon emissions and so apply equally to replacement windows as to new installations.

Windows installed under current double glazing building regulations must comply with energy efficiency guidelines concerning thermal performance or U-Value, which rates the amount of heat that escapes naturally through the closed window.

Means of Escape and Safety are also covered by UK building regulations. Can people get out safely in case of emergency and have the rules governing the appropriate use of safety glass been adhered to?

Double glazing is a great insulator which is one of its great selling features, however ventilation is vital in any room and is particularly important in the fight against condensation. Air supply and ventilation are addressed under UK building regulations. The use of a room can determine regulations concerning it’s ventilation. For example, more air supply is required in bathrooms and utility rooms.

If your new double glazing does not comply with UK Regulations & Standards it is you who is liable to make your home compliant. The homeowner is ultimately responsible for obtaining a certificate of compliance confirming that the work adheres to building regulations and Planning Permission requirements. This certificate is essential when you come to sell your home.

Using a double glazing company registered with an official self-certifying body such as FENSA or CERTASS removes a lot of the strain surrounding regulations and getting the correct certification because they take care of it all for you.

If you choose an installer who is not FENSA or CERTASS registered or you do the work yourself, then you will need to arrange for a building inspector to confirm that the work and materials used meet the required standards. You will have to pay for the building regulations application and certificate. The standard fee is around £60.00 but it advisable to check the actual cost with your local authority before work starts.